Education and Academic Career:
EMP obtained his BSc (2000) and MSc (2001) from the Universidad de Salamanca. He then joined the group of Prof. David A. Leigh at the University of Edinburgh (UK) where he obtained his PhD in 2005. He was Juan de la Cierva postdoctoral fellow in the group of Prof. Nazario Martín at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid in 2005-2008. In December 2008 he joined IMDEA Nanoscience as a Ramón y Cajal researcher, and has climbed through the ranks to his current position. In 2011-2012 he received support from both Spanish (MINECO) and European sources (ERC Starting Independent Research Grant) to establish his own research group at IMDEA. His main research interests concern the development of unconventional methods for the modification of carbon nanotubes and 2D materials, the self-assembly of functional materials, and the construction of molecular machinery.
Awards & Distinctions
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Fullerenes, Nanotubes and Carbon Nanostructures, (Tailor & Francis, May 2015).
- Early Excellence in Physical Organic Chemistry Profile in J. Phys. Org. Chem., 2015, 28, 445-446.
- Miguel Catalán Award, 20 January 2014. Award for best scientist in the Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid under the age of 40.
- UCM Foundation Prize for Science and Technology, 25 November 2010. A prestigious nation-wide award for early career achievements of scientists of all fields below the age of 35.
- I SUSCHEM Prize for Young Researchers 22 July 2009. Awarded to the best publication in the year 2008 for members of the Young Researchers Group of the RSEQ.
- RSEQ Prize for Novel Researchers May 2009. One of four winners of the prize, awarded to the best chemists in Spain under the age of 35.
- Selected as Young Researcher to attend the 59th Meeting of Nobel Prize Winners in Chemistry, Lindau, Germany, 28 June-3 July 2009.
- IUPAC Prize for Young Chemists 2006, 28 April 2006. One of five winners of the prize, awarded to the most outstanding PhD theses in the world of Chemical Sciences.
- 1st Prize Leanne Green Memorial, Universtity of Edinburgh, 5 May 2004. The prize is given to the best presentation amongst final year PhD students in the School of Chemistry.
- 1st Prize SCI (Society of Chemical Industry) Symposium on Novel Organic Chemistry, 1 April 2004. The prize distinguishes the best PhD students from Scottish and Northern English Universities.
- 1st Prize Universtity of Edinburgh, Organic Section Meeting, 29-31 March 2004. The prize is awarded to the best presentation amongst final year PhD students in the Organic Section.
Member of the Young Academy of Europe. (http://www.yacadeuro.org)
Member of the American Chemical Society.
Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Member of the Real Sociedad Española de Química.
Member of the Grupo Especializado de Jóvenes Químicos (RSEQ).