Dr. María Jesús Villa
Head of the Research Projects Office
Dr. Mark Davies
European and International Competitive Projects
International Promotion and Pre-award Support
Dr. Elena Alonso
Communication and Outreach
Horizon Europe. 5 mission areas have been identified: (1) Conquering Cancer, (2) Accelerating the transition to a climate prepared and resilient Europe, (3) Regenerating our Ocean and Waters, (4) 100 Climate-Neutral Cities by 2030 – by and for the citizens, (5) Caring for Soil is Caring for Life. The final recommendations of the mission boards will be handed over to the European Commission at the European Research & Innovation Days.
- Transition of ERC to Horizon Europe. More info
Would you like to host a two-year postdoc with EU funding to work on your research project? Then the prestigious MSCA Individual Fellowships should be on your radar. The 2020 call is open until 9th September 2020. More info
Search for Open Calls for proposals by following this link.
Here you will find the latest news concerning the COVID-19 outbreak and the most important links for your information.
Relevant news and Initiatives:
- An additional €675 million of H2020 to be re-allocated into research on vaccines, diagnostics, and therapeutics against COVID-19, bringing the total mobilised under the EU flagship to €1 billion (Coronavirus Global Response)
- Creation of European Research Area (ERA) Corona Platform
- EIT Crisis Response Initiative
- Care & Industry together against CORONA
- JRC Science to tackle the coronavirus crisis
- Regular EC update with the latest information on coronavirus research & funding opportunities
- COVID-19 outbreak Frequently Asked Questions (regularly updated by EC)
- Initiatives tackling COVID-19 (regularly updated by European Research Area)
- World Health Organization (WHO) Global Research on Covid-19
COVID-19 related Calls:
- Convocatoria CRUE-CSIC-Santander Fondo Supera COVID-19
- Fast-track CALL for proposals to contribute to the mitigation of the impact of the COVID-19 - PRACE (Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe). Permanently Open Call
- EIT Health Connections
- SARS-Cov-2 Alba Synchrotron
CONVOCATORIAS NACIONALES – Ciencia e Innovación frente al Coronavirus:
- EU research projects on Coronavirus (March 2020)
- List of ERC-funded research projects related to coronavirus
Access to Publications and Data:
Databases of COVID Research:
List of European Research Council-funded research projects
Horizon Europe is the 9th European Framework Programme funding research and innovation. The European Commission proposes a budget of €100 billion for 2021-2027. First calls are expected in January 2021.
Horizon Europe is proposed as the most ambitious research and innovation funding programme ever. Excellence in science will continue to be funded by the European Research Council and the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions. Knowledge-based innovations and support by the European Innovation Council will drive forward the EU’s industrial competitiveness and innovative performance. The overall aim of the new research programme is to expand the EU’s science and technology base by investing more in highly qualified workers and cutting-edge research. Horizon Europe will help in achieving the EU’s strategic priorities, such as implementing the Paris Climate Agreement and addressing other global challenges. The Horizon Europe programme is also guided by the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Horizon Europe will be organised differently to fHorizon 2020 and include new elements and simplifications:
- The European Innovation Council will become an integral part of Horizon Europe, with its own governance structures and research promotion instruments.
- A new element in Horizon Europe is the five EU-wide research and innovation mission areas that aim to address major societal challenges, such as the spread of cancer and climate change, through ambitious and applied research and innovation activities conducted over the long term.
- Open Science will be the new modus operandi in Horizon Europe. The Open Access policy already applied in Horizon 2020 will be developed.
- European partnerships will be streamlined and consolidated.
- Simpler rules will increase legal certainty and reduce red tape for funding recipients and programme managers.
Preliminary structure of Horizon Europe
Source: European Commission
Progress on Horizon Europe Implementation Strategy
The European Commission has announced new developments regarding Horizon's Europe Implementation Strategy. The rules and simplification measures put in place for Horizon 2020 were widely acknowledged by stakeholders as a big step towards a more attractive programme. Based on this experience, work has been ongoing on Horizon Europe’s Implementation Strategy to set out how the programme will be managed in practice to achieve its ambitious objectives. The Strategy is a living document thus it will receive further updates.
Horizon Europe’s Implementation Strategy provides the framework for carefully designed rules and efficient processes across the entire programme and project life cycle. It allows the programme to deliver its impacts as efficient and user-friendly as possible.
The Strategy focusses on the following objectives:
- Maximising impacts;
- Ensuring greater transparency and further simplification;
- Fostering synergies with other EU spending programmes;
- Easing access through digital transformation and outreach.
For further information, see the European Commission's page on Horizon Europe