Prof. Isabel Rodríguez Fernández
Isabel Rodriguez graduated in Pharmacy from the University of Alcala de Henares and received a Science PhD from the National University of Singapore (1999). After graduation, she worked at the Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), A*STAR, Singapore where she became Senior Research Scientist (2008) and later Head of IMRE’s Patterning and Fabrication Group (2012). In 2013 she jointed IMDEA Nanociencia as a Senior Researcher where she currently works in areas related to polymer micro and nano fabrication technologies, primarily nanoimprinting directed to construct functional surfaces for the control of interfacial interactions, cell adhesion, wettability and optical phenomena.
The group ́s work has applications in areas including:
- Nano-engineered functional surfaces for medical applications, particularly in the development of antibacterial functionalities and cell culture fluidic platforms for cell biomechanical assays.
- Multifunctional surfaces. We are developing the methodology to impart onto polymer nanocomposites additional surface properties, particularly those of super-hydrophobicity and self-cleaning based on surface nanotexturing.
- Polymer optical devices such as polymer lasers, antireflective surfaces and optical sensors. Nanoim- printing is currently employed to enable the fabrication of organic distributed feedback laser (DFB) on plastic materials for sensing applications.
- "Microfluidic Cell Trap Array For Controlled Positioning Of Single Cells On Adhesive Micropatterns" Lin, Laiyi; Chu, Yeh-Shiu; Thiery, Jean Paul; Lim, Chwee Teck; Rodriguez, Isabel Lab on Chip, 2013, 13, 714-721
- "Fabrication and Analysis of Gecko-Inspired Hierarchical Polymer Nanosetae". Ho, Audrey Yoke Yee; Yeo, Lip Pin; Lam, Yee Cheong; Rodriguez Isabel. ACS Nano, 2011, 5, pp 1897-1906
- "The Effect of Topography of Polymer Surfaces on Platelet Adhesion" Li Buay Koh, Isabel Rodriguez, SubbuS. Venkatraman. Biomaterials, 31, 1533-1545 (2010).
- Super-Hydrophobic Hierarchical Structures, Method of Forming Them And Medical Devices Incorporating Them. US pat Application no: No. 13/441,496. Filing date: April 6, 2012
- Super-Hydrophilic Structures. US pat Application no: No. 13/435544. Filing date: March 30, 2012
- High aspect ratio adhesive structure and a method of forming the same PCT/SG2010/000056, US 2011/0300339 A1. Filing date: 12 Feb 2010
- A Substrate Having a Surface for Inhibiting Adhesion of a Target Cell Thereon and a Method af Preparing the Same, PCT patent application, PCT/SG2009/000354. Filing Date: 24-Sep-09